Produced by Milkhaus, JungeFilm and HBO
Post Production by Milkhaus
For more information, please visit www.savingfacefilm.com
- Directed by: Daniel Junge and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy
- Produced by: Davis Coombe, Daniel Junge, and Alison Greeenberg
- Produced by: Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and Sabiha Sumar
- Edited by: Davis Coombe and Hemal Trivedi
- Original Music by: Gunnard Doboze.
- Co-Producers: Aaron Kopp and Fazeelat Aslam
- Associate Producers: Asad Faruqi, Shahbaz Sumar, and Cathy Trekloff
- Audio Post: Coupe Studios
Zakia is a 39-year old woman who had acid thrown on her by her husband after filing for divorce. She strives to find justice, alleviate pain and restore functioning and features to her face. Rukhsana is a 23-year old woman who was attacked by her husband and in-laws and forced to reconcile with them. Plastic surgeon Dr. Mohammad Jawad left the prominence of his London practice to return to his home country and help the victims of such attacks.
SAVING FACE chronicles the lives of Zakia and Rukhsana as they attempt to bring their assailants to justice and move on with their lives. The women are supported by NGOs, sympathetic policymakers, and skilled doctors, such as the Acid Survivors Foundation-Pakistan, Dr. Mohammad Jawad, attorney Ms. Sarkar Abbass who fights Zakia’s case, and female politician Marvi Memon who advocates for new legislation.
SAVING FACE follows their personal stories and that of the nation of Pakistan as it attempts to tackle this horrific social problem.